Monday, May 19, 2008

A mysterious message

I'm grading papers. They're good, most of them. I just finished reading an A paper deconstructing an ad for the Navy, branding itself with Navy Seals. On the works cited page, handwritten, perhaps for me or perhaps not were the following notations for three Bible verses.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Am I being subliminally converted? My student must have known that I would look them up, right? Are these notes to himself? Is this some "goof" on me that I don't realize, some practical joke that only these post-post's understand? Is it a reference to Tila Tequila?

I like the first two a lot, and the idea that no matter where you are or what you do you are fundamentally inseparable from the divine. Or something.

2 comments:

Kurd said...

I agree with you on the second quote; though I am not myself a man of faith, I understand this link to some greater love that leads people to believe. The first quote, however, is a direct reference to the idea of faith vs. works, or, to a certain extent, determinism vs. free will. I think we head down a slippery slope when we begin to define ourselves by our beliefs and not our actions. A lot of dangerous madmen believed they were doing the right thing, though their actions speak differently in hindsight. Similarly, how can we think so badly of someone who buries his or her dark thoughts and channels those problems into some sort of fruitful outcome? Culpability exists in our actions. And so it was written. By me.

Next Flix said...

Seth, we're throwing you a birthday party tomorrow night! You didn't know it, did you?