Monday, August 11, 2008

In which I move to New Mexico and get drunk...

I live with New Mexicans.  There is a rich cultural history here, stretching back four hundred years.  My roommate has distant relation with the founders of the state (?) and a penchant f0r Ten High bourbon (!).  I have learned the following phrases in "garbage" New Mexico Spanish:  (which I will transliterate to my drunken best)  al petcho to the chest, what New Mexicans say when chugging beer, or at least describing the direction to which they chug it; hue (whey) I don't know how to spell it, but it translates as "bitch" or "fucker" and is friendly unless the accusator is angry;  chingator means the penis, but the accent is on the "a" making it sound like alligator, and I understand that the phrase is best emphasized with a forearm unfolding on a beer pong table.  
I'm having fun with New Mexicans.  They like to shoot things in the desert.  I have plans to go to Juarez, the second largest city in Mexico.  I have drunk 14 budlights.

1 comment:

Lisa M said...

Another phrase you might find comes in handy:

Coger a tu madre?

I think you might actually be New Mexican, if getting drunk and shooting things is a natural way of life around there! Can't wait to hear more tales of adventure.